Many RPGs are huge and have worldwide fame, such as the top 10 RPGs of all time, while there are quite a few that are less renown but still worth a look.
Here are five underrated RPGs that are worth checking out:
- Valkyria Chronicles (PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PC) – a tactical RPG set in a fictional world inspired by World War II, with a unique blend of turn-based combat and real-time strategy.
- Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) – a remake of the classic RPG, with an immersive and quirky story, memorable characters, and a unique fusion of dungeon-crawling and life simulation.
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC, PSP, PlayStation Vita) – a traditional RPG with a deep and engaging story, memorable characters, and a well-designed combat system.
- Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii, New Nintendo 3DS) – an open-world RPG with a massive world to explore, memorable characters, and a unique combat system.
- Star Ocean: The Second Story (PlayStation) – a classic RPG with fast-paced and tactical combat, a deep and engaging story, and a well-designed world to explore.
Note that this list is subjective and others may have different opinions on what constitutes an “underrated” RPG. These games, however, have a dedicated fanbase and offer unique and memorable experiences that are worth discovering.
As a bonus, I also suggest you checkout the Disgaea series, which is a wonderfully fun and cheeky turn-based RPG.